Tuesday, November 3, 2009

3D footage, and it works!

Hi all,

Here are some images!!  The material is gorgeous, thanks to the amazing and keen of Charles my DOP, and moreover it works in 3D!  This is always the worry as we were flying blind, but I am happy to report that my first tests are conclusive.

I made a quick and easy anaglyph (red and blue glasses) using a beta plug-in from Sheffieldsoftworks.  It does a decent job, lets you slightly shift one of the images to compensate for inter-ocular distance (lens separation), but is nowhere near as customizable as I would want.  Anaglyphs in general are far from what I want as a final product, but they make it fairly easy for people to experience the footage as all you need is a pair of those red and blue glasses, the kind that you find in cereal boxes.  I used a pair from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles from 1992!
 -(If possible, view clips in HD and fullscreen to get a better 3D experience)-




 This clip doesn't work as well as the previous one because of the proximity of the children to the cameras, and the resolution through YouTube. You get a ghosting effect where two images are perceived instead of one.  To fix this, I need to further shift the images in post-production. The effect of depth is felt nonetheless.

I'll post a whole series of tests and reports on what worked and what didn't very soon, but in the meantime, here is some of the un-altered material in 2D, to give you a better idea of what it really looks like.

Music: My Girls by Animal Collective


No comments:

Post a Comment