Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Inside the box




I realize I'm a little overdue on elaborating on the piece itself, but I've been busy trying to organize the shoot and am focusing all my energies there.

I can summarize the work as a loose narrative depicting a character’s memory of a group of children running trough fields, carefree and playful.  The children happen upon something shocking, something terrible, and they flee in terror.  The piece is experienced from a first-person point-of-view, as the character becomes trapped in the moment, lost in memory.

In my work, I constantly return to memory as focal point.  I am fascinated with how memory is created, and how it evolves over time. I am especially interested here on the point of contact: the moment of creation of memory. In this piece, I focus my attention on the mechanics of perception and how this sensory information gets processed into memory. 

Our existence is mediated moment by moment by what information we input and how that information is processed.  These two factors dictate the form and importance of the resulting memory, or lack thereof. In moments of primal emotion, physical sensations, the inputs, are pushed, even forced directly into memory.  Memory almost always changes over time as our perception shifts or the memory fades, but when created under duress, memory may retain more of its raw emotional and sensorial data. 

In this work, I want to exploit as many environmental inputs in the viewer as possible by using 3D, 2D, surround audio and a first person immersive environment.  I want to play with perception, explore its mechanics and its limits, to see where and how it breaks down. I want to slip the viewer’s perceptual footholds, and in doing so, immerse them in a fictional memory, seared into the main character’s psyche by the brute force of the situation.

A light, cheery story just in time for Halloween!


Opcodism art by dumpanalysis.org

No comments:

Post a Comment